Brandywine’s Capabilities and History
Brandywine is built on a 40 year history of research and trading, with expertise in wealth management, alternative investments (including managed futures, crisis alpha, market neutral equity and tactical asset allocation), venture investing and entrepreneurship, real estate development, residential rentals and construction.
Brandywine’s innovative investment philosophy and programs are the result of this broad base of experience.
Biographical highlights of Brandywine’s Management
Michael P. Dever is the founder (in 1982) and CEO of Brandywine Asset Management, the author of a best-selling investment book and a featured subject of three books. Brandywine has invested significant amounts over the past four decades in research to develop proprietary investment strategies and manage client assets pursuant to several successful investment programs. Brandywine has developed investment programs that are either characterized by performance that is completely uncorrelated to that of stocks, bonds and hedge funds or that protect investors from equity bear markets. Mr. Dever has also been a great early identifier of investment talent and served as the initial outside investor in other managers that went on to great success.
As an internet entrepreneur, Mr. Dever founded and ran spree.com, which became the 7th most-trafficked internet commerce site by 1999. Among other pioneering accomplishments, Spree was the exclusive ecommerce partner for the PGA Tour. Mr. Dever led spree through a $13 million funding round (led by Patricof & Company) in 1999.
Mr. Dever also co-founded Internetseer.com, which became the world’s largest web site monitoring company and is the co-inventor on a patent related to web site monitoring. He was instrumental in selling the company to Landmark Communications (then the owner of The Weather Channel) in 2007.
Mr. Dever is a board member of the National Futures Association CPO/CTA Committee, holds the Certified Financial Planner® designation and has a B.S. in Business from West Chester University.
- In four years as a high school pole vault coach, Mike produced three state medalists (two of which were his sons), including an All-American and the Pennsylvania all-time state record holder (17’-0”)
- Mike is an Eagle Scout, coach for Special Olympics, instrument-rated private pilot and also holds a Part 107 drone pilot license
- Mike’s proudest accomplishment has been raising three great boys with his wife Kim, a nurse with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Mitchell, 24, works full-time in electronics
- Matthew, 23, graduated with a degree in Finance from Penn State University and is now a co-founder and partner with Fremont Capital Partners. Perhaps most importantly, Matthew is the Guinness Book World Record holder in the American football long snap (41.5 yards)
- Charley, 20, is a midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland
You can read more, including numerous business and personal references for Mike at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikedever/.
Robert Proctor, CFA is head of Trading and Operations. He joined Brandywine in 2010 and has 30 years of investment management experience. Prior to joining Brandywine he was a registered investment advisor and head of his own investment management firm. In the early part of his career he worked at Thomson McKinnon Securities and LPL Financial.
Mr. Proctor was also active in the venture development area with companies such as SailNet.com & Marine.com, which he founded. Most recently, from 2015 until 2020, he has served as an investor and CFO at Vermont Natural Beef, LLC.
Mr. Proctor is a member of the Harford CFA Society and the CFA Institute. He has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charter and holds the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation. Mr. Proctor holds a B.S. in Agricultural Economics from the University of Vermont. He serves on the board of Honduras Children’s Project and is the treasurer of the Lions Club of Durham, CT.
- Rob took a four-year hiatus from the investment world to help “grow” Vermont Natural Beef LLC – a direct to consumer provider of NY, NJ and New England’s best beef! The farm also ran a wedding business, KingstonPlace.com, that hosts barn weddings.
- Rob met Mike Dever at the University of Vermont, but the rest of Rob’s family are Yalies. Both of his sons are recent software engineer grads and his wife is a professor of 20+ years at the medical school.
- Prior to 2020, traveling has been a passion for Rob and his family. Most recently trips have included three weeks in the Galapagos in 2019 and a trip to Machu Picchu in 2017. Both are highly recommended!
- For fun outside of academia, Rob & his family sail a Little Harbor 38 out of Mystic, CT and dive most winters from the North Shore of Grand Cayman.